baking, Friday Feast, main course, one pot meal, recipe, rice, spinach, stir fry, vegetables, veggies, vegies
I heart, I love spinach so its made in the household quite often and Ojas seems to like it too makes it even more common and hence I am always on the lookout for some spinach recipes
So when I saw this dish with spinach flavored rice and stir fried veggies in Nita Mehta’s Baking Dishes cookbook I had to make it… a great one pot meal…
For the rice
- 1 cup rice – washed and soaked in salted water for 30 mins
- 2 tsp vegetable oil (the original recipe asks for 4 tbsp butter.. sigh)
For the spinach layer
- 2 cups chopped spinach – pureed in a mixer
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 green chillies (the original asked for 3 though I am sure it would taste awesome I reduced it because of Ojas)
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1 tsp atta (the original asked for maida and the regulars here now my hatred for it very well 😉 )
- 1/4 tsp salt
Stir Fried Veggies
- 1 onion – sliced
- 1 potato – boiled and sliced into thin fingers (I skipped this and instead added a little more of all other veggies)
- 1 carrot – cut into thin fingers
- 5-6 french beans – cut into 2″ inch long fingers
- 1 capsicum cut into thin fingers (I added this and I personally u can add any veggies to this)
- salt, pepper and red chilli flakes to sprinkle
- 2 tsp olive oil (my addition)
- Boil 6 cups water with 1 tsp salt. Add rice and boil till soft. Strain rice. Spread the rice in a plate to cool. Keep aside
- Heat oil butter in a pan, add ginger and green chilli. Stir till ginger starts to change color. Add spinach puree. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from fire. Let spinach cool.
- Whisk curd till smooth. Add 1tsp flour to curd and whisk again. Add curd to spinach and mix. Return to fire and cook till thick. Add salt to taste. Remove from fire to cool. Pour over the rice.
- For the stir fried veggies, heat the olive oil in a pan (in the original this is also done in butter… so chose what u like). Add onion, stir fry till pink. Add all the veggies apart from potato incase u are adding it. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes on low heat. Add the potato and stir fro another 2-3 minutes. Add salt, pepper and red chilli flakes to taste.
To assemble the casserole
- Grease a baking dish and spread spinach rice and press down gently
- Spread the stir fry veggies over the rice in a uniform layer
- Bake in a hot over at 200 degrees for 20 mins
- Remove from oven, sprinkle chopped coriander and serve hot. We had it with curd and it was yummy
And it look so colorful and vibrant that u feel like reaching to it and eating 😉
Looks lovely … I find your recipes easy to follow and healthy
Yuymmm.. in return for fresh yeast[which am hoping to get] , u cook this for me 🙂
TS begged/cajoled/tricked me into making bhaturas at home the other day. Sigh! The things I do for love 😀
Next time he does something like this, I’m going to make this casserole. I love spinach and he hates it. AHaa
Will try it!
I guess I can microwave this instead of the oven? (we no have oven yet!)
Very delicious looking and healthy… I prefer Atta to Maida as well!!
I love the idea of ‘one-dish-meals’! Makes a lot of sense :-)))
Goofy Mumma said:
Are you only cooking these days? I am going to try this one, sounds n looks good!
Lemme try this!!
WOW !!! Temptation !!! 🙂
Wow – you are great cook lady…
**BOws BOws BOws **:)
Your friday idea works great for me – the weekend is just around to give it a try.
Munchkin's Mom said:
awesome…i like nita mehtas recipes…i have her pasta pizza cookbook
wow!! looks so yummy. Bookmarking this one!
2Bs mommy said:
WOw ! Looks yumm…will definitely try it one of these days and will let you know. The pic is too tempting !
Pingback: slow cooker pot instead of using a large casserole pot? | Slow Cooker Pot
i like one pot meals too 🙂 i am labeled as QFC(quick fix cook) for that but what the heck!
Just had yumm palak paneer yday made by amit.. will try this when i buy palak next.
it looks yummy
m going to try it for sure
Nalini Hebbar said:
sounds real nice…will try for sure…:)
WOW..Yumm..can i make it in microwave ?
this looks REALLY good, Mon.. i swear by nita mehta’s recipes..im yet to come across one that flops…
Goofy Mumma said:
I am trying this out tomo, will ping you if I have any doubts! I have been wanting to try it since ages u know!! 😀
Pingback: Whole wheat herb&cheese muffins « Crafty Maa
Pingback: Whole wheat herb&cheese muffins | Life With My Sunshines