I have found a new die hard fan of my baking… my dear darling son 🙂 every now and then he comes and tell me mumma please oven make something… and he is happy with whatever I make muffins, cake, cookies… So I have been thinking of baking something which feels healthy too and then while browsing I chanced upon this recipe of Oat Bran Muffins at joyofbaking (BTW which is a site I adore) and what a delightful recipe it is….Healthy to the core… it has whole wheat, oat bran, for sugar it uses honey and brown sugar instead of the processed white sugar… not too much oil… hell I can eat while dieting also 😀 and it tastes super yummy too
- 1 cup (130 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (150 grams) oat bran
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (outer skin of orange)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) raisins
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder(the original recipe also asks for baking soda which I skipped, for some reason I have a great dislike for soda) , salt, ground cinnamon, and orange zest.
- In another bowl whisk together the lightly beaten egg, honey, vanilla essence, oil, and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir just until moistened. Gently stir in the raisins. (The batter will be quite thin.)
- Pour or ladle the batter to fill the muffin cups, and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Go enjoy guiltlessly, the muffin has such a nice & different flavor to it… a little nutty I would say with all the fibre of oat bran and whole wheat