Today June 5 is the world environment day and lets pledge today to save Mother Earth on this day…
Global Warming i guess is the hottest and most important issue to focus right now, Got some tips in mails etc on some small small things that we can do and can make a lot difference. so here goes the listing
In your home
1. Recycle everything: newspapers, bottles and cans, aluminum foil, etc.
2. Don’t use electrical appliances when you can easily do by hand, such as opening cans.
3. Use cold water in the washer whenever possible.
4. Re-use brown paper bags to line your trash can instead of plastic bags. Re-use bread bags and produce bags.
5. Store food in re-usable containers.
6. Donate used items to a charitable organization.
7. Don’t leave water running needlessly.
8. Turn off the lights, TV, or other electrical appliances when you are out of a room.
9. Flush the toilet less often.
In the office
1. Recycle office and computer paper, cardboard, etc.
2. Use scrap paper for informal notes to yourself and others.
3. Print or copy on both sides of the paper.
4. Use smaller paper for smaller memos.
5. Use dishes, glassware and coffee cups instead of disposable dishes and cups.
At the store
1. Avoid buying food or products packaged in plastic or styrofoam containers since they cannot be recycled.
2. Think twice about buying “disposable” products. (They end up in landfills.)
3. Buy paper products instead of plastic if you must buy “disposables.”
4. Buy energy-efficient appliances.
5. Buy locally grown food and locally made products when possible.
6. Don’t buy products made from endangered animals.
In your life
1. Join a conservation organization. Browse the JustGive Guide to find an environmental organization you would like to support.
2. Volunteer your time to conservation projects.
3. Give money to conservation projects.
4. Switch to a vegetarian diet. (Raising animals for food consumes vast quantities of natural resources, including water, land, and oil; destroys habitats; and generates a tremendous amount of water and air pollution.)
5. Encourage your family, friends, and neighbors to save resources too.
6. Teach children to respect nature and the environment. Take them on hikes or camping. Help them plant a tree or build a birdhouse.
Also do check out the Env day special by TOI (the pages marked as Heal the World) there are some brilliant articles there.