I was reading the comments for Hip Hop Grandmom’s Post on AIDS/HIV and I realized that there are still lot of us who don’t know much about the disease and tend to believe the hoax like boy getting infected by eating Pani Puri, its natural as taking about AIDS is still considered a taboo in our society though numerous people are getting infected everyday and its soon turning into a epidemic.
Just posting some facts I thought are important to know about it, u can search the net for the rest. Hope it educates some of us.
- HIV (virus) requires *ONLY* *Blood or Semen* as medium to transmit from one body to another
- HIV *can not* transmit even through *Saliva* (mucous) i.e. even if HIV-infected patient coughs and another person is exposed to his sputum (cough), the virus still can not transmit because concentration of virus particles in sputum is almost NIL & exposure to air anyway kills virus in fraction of seconds
- In case HIV-infected person got an injury (like the cut in below mentioned story) and he is bleeding, the virus can transmit to another person only if another person has a cut/wound in his body & that too when *blood from both person comes in contact with each other* (this is also very very rare unless bleeding is very high) and not otherwise
- HIV can *never survive in any other liquid* medium also other than blood or semen
Even if one drinks an HIV infected blood (or semen) of someone (ingest through Gastro Intestinal track), the virus *can not survive in the acidic pH of stomach. Highest extent of acidity is 0 (practically not possible) so imagine 1 as pH which is in our stomach. (This pH can bun your own finger in less than a second if you dip in that acid)
- Exposure of less than 1 second in AIR KILLS the HIV virus (hence story of needle pricks in Cinema theatres is a crap). Even if blood from a wound (of infected person) dries up (blood clot), the virus dies and can not infect anyone else
- HIV transmission is *ONLY* an *INFECTION* i.e. entrance of virus in one’s body. It *DOES NOT MEAN AIDS*.
- An HIV-infected person (after entrance of virus) can progress to condition of AIDS only after 8 to 10 YEARS
- It is *not HIV (virus) that kills a human* ….. the virus attacks immune cells (cells that fight against foreign pathogens/antigens) and hence a person’s ability to fight against infections & diseases slowly diminishes and person ultimately dies of a disease which could be as simple as TB
- Most importantly, HIV is no longer dreadful disease … it is “*CHRONIC MANAGEABLE DISEASE*” just like Diabetes or Hypertension. If there is anything you need to be careful from to prevent HIV is *Unsafe sex*, *Blood transfusion* (check before taking) / Blood donation (use sterilized needles only) and any *blood contact during an accident *or so where amount of bleeding is very high.
- Last but not the least we need to treat HIV infected people with respect and dignity